Komatsu (Komatsu Shi)
As of 2008, the city has an estimated population of 109,285 with a density of 294 persons per km². The total area is 371.13 km².
The modern city was founded on December 1, 1940, although its history extends to feudal times. It is the third-largest city in the population in Ishikawa prefecture after Hakusan city was formed and came to the second in 2005.
Komatsu Airport is the main airport of Ishikawa. It is located about an hour driving distance southwest from Kanazawa (the capital of Ishikawa Prefecture). It is served by JR West Hokuriku Main Line, Hokuriku Expressway and
National Highways Routes 8, 305, 360 and 416.
Komatsu Limited, the construction and mining equipment company, was named after the city.
Interesting places in Komatsu are the Nata-Dera Buddhist temple complex, the Yunokuni-no-mori traditional handicrafts village, Hoshi Ryokan (the worlds oldest hotel), and the Motorcar Museum of Japan which is the largest museum dedicated to motor vehicles in Japan with a 12,000 square metre display area. Nearby is the well-known Kaga hot-springs district.
From the 17th Century to the Meiji Restoration, Komatsu housed the retirement castle of Maeda Toshitsune. While nearly all of the castle was demolished, its garden still remains as 芦城公園, Rojou Park. In the spring, this is one of the prefecture's best spots for cherry blossom viewing.
Komatsu is twinned with Gateshead Council (North East England, United Kingdom) and operates an exchange program involving 10 students (aged 13–17) every two years.